Mildly spicy and moist.
Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard 12-muffin pan or line with paper cups. Whisk together thoroughly:
- 1-½ cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- More than 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- More than ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- More than ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- More than ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Whisk together in large bowl:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
Stir in and let stand for 10 minutes:
- 1-½ cups packed finely shredded carrots.
- ¼ cup orange juice (any juice will do)
- 5 tablespoons warm, melted, unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup golden raisins.
Add the flour mixture and fold just until the dry ingredients aer moistened. Do not overmix; the batter should not be smooth. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan. If not serving hot, let cool on a rack. Serve as soon as possible, preferably the day they are baked. They last for about 5 days if stored in plastic bags.