Rhubarb Pan Dowdy
Chop 2-3 cups of rhubarb, enough to cover the bottom of a 9 inch pan.
- 1 ¾ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 4 to 6 tablespoons chilled butter or shortening or a combination of both. Cut solid shortening into dry ingredients with two knives or a pastry cutter until the dough has the consistency of coarse corn meal, then make a well in the center.
- Add, all at once, ¾ cup milk.
- Stir until the dough is fairly free from the side of the bowl. Use a tablespoon to drop dollops of dough on top of the rhubarb making sure to leave spaces between the dollops.
- Dilute 1 cup of maple syrup with 1 cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour over the top of the dough, then sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or so, until the rhubarb is tender. Turn the oven up to 450 for the last 10 minutes to brown the biscuit tops.
Pan Dowdy is best served warm with vanilla ice cream.