- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 16 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 6 lasgna noodles, uncooked
- 1 lb or more spinach, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Saute mushrooms, carrots and onion in butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender, drain and set aside. Combine cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, oregano and basil; stir well and set aside.
Combine spaghetti sauce and tomato paste, stir well. Spread one half of this combined sauce mixture in a 13" x 9" 2" baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Spread vegetable mixture over noodles. Spoon one half of the cheese/butter/eggs/herbs mixture over the vegetables. Arrange the remaining 3 lasagna noodles over the cottage cheese mixture and top off with the remaining sauce mixture, the spinach, the remaining cottage cheese mixture and the chopped tomatoes. This can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Bake covered at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top, bake for 15 more minutes (or until the lasagna is hot and the cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.