- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, or enough fresh
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 19 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced yellow squash, and green squash
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 4 large potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce potatoes with tines of fork and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Add tomatoes, broth and beans. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
Add yellow squash and zucchini. Cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, split baked potatoes and mash their pulp slightly. Spoon vegetable stew into center.