- Coarse salt
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 sugar pumpkin (about 3 pounds), peeled and halved, seeds removed, and flesh cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb rigatoni
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish, if desired
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Put bacon into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook,stirring, until bacon is almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
Add onion to skillet with bacon grease. Cook, stirring, until soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Add pumpkin, sage, ½ teaspoons salt, and the allspice. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add stock and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until pumpkin is soft and sauce has thickened slightly, about 25 minutes. Season with pepper. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, and add to skillet. Add the bacon and Parmesan, and toss to combine. Divide among bowls. Serve with Parmesan on the side, and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds. Serves 4.