Roasted Glazed Parsnips and Carrots with Orange and Thyme
This recipe can be made with 2 pounds of carrots and no parsnips. Serves 6.
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 2 by 2½-inch sticks
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 by 2½-inch sticks
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon melted and 2 tablespoons cubed)
- ½ cup water
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450°. Toss carrots, parsnips, 1 teaspoon thyme, vinegar, marmalade, ginger, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and melted butter in 13 by 9-inch Pyrex baking dish. Pour water over vegetables, cover with foil, and roast until vegetables just begin to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are tender and browned and liquid is reduced to thick glaze, 20 to 25 minutes. Add remaining teaspoon thyme and cubed butter and toss. Adjust seasonings and serve.