From Roshni Prabakar
Roshni learned how to make the following dish from a former neighbor of hers in Bangalore, India. She says you can use any vegetables, but recommends spinach and greens. It’s pronounced, “Kitch-ed-ee” and is a mildly spicy, soft textured vegetable dish that she serves by itself as the star of the table.
- 1 stick butter
- Cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- Curry powder (or other spice, chili powder is nice)
- Vegetables (spinach, other greens, or whatever you like)
- 1 cup dahl (lentils)
- 1 cup rice (any type)
- 4 cups water
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Saute cumin seeds, garlic and onion till they turn golden brown.
- Add curry powder (or whatever flavor spice you want) and vegetables. Stir them for one minute or less with the onions and garlic.
- Add dahl (lentils), rice and water. Salt to taste.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!