Braised Mixed Greens with Fresh Peas
from Mary Lou Conna
- 8 oz. (about 8 cups) lightly packed mixed hearty greens-mustard, chard, kale, collards
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 large clove garlic chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 cups fresh peas, shelled (can use frozen)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop greens into 1″ wide ribbons and set aside
- In a large skillet or flame proof casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add greens and stir for 5 minutes or until they wilt.
- Add enough water or stock to just cover greens (careful; not too much). Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook partially covered for 25 minutes until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Add fresh peas (or thawed frozen ones). Continue to cook for 5 minutes and peas are bright green and tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve as a side dish or over barley or bulghur.
Comments from Leigh Belanger:
I mix my greens and use the stems of the chard but not the kale or collards, and I rarely use the 2 full cups of water (or stock). I check it during the 25 minute cooking stage. It is a great hit with my family, some of whom don’t like chard or kale or collards. They all like this.