Hot and Sour Soup with Swiss Chard
From Madison Area CSA Coalition
This recipe is adapted from Great Greens by Georgeanne Brennan.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 oz dried mushrooms soaked in water until plump and cut into strips (strain the liquid and use it for some of the broth)
- ½ teaspoon hot chile oil
- 5-6 oz. baked tofu in 1/2 in. cubes
- 4-5 teaspoon water mixed with
- ¼ lb chard leaves cut into strips
- 2-3 tablespoon corn starch
- 3-4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 slender green onions chopped
- Bring broth to boil in saucepan. Add mushrooms and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chard, simmer 1 minute.
- Add soy, vinegar, sesame oil, chile oil, and tofu. Stir and heat through.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. Add egg, stirring until cooked, 1 minute.
- Served topped with cilantro and green onions.