Mustard Greens with Corn, Leeks, and Bacon
From Johanna Albi and Catherine Walthers
- 1 pound mustard greens
- 2 to 4 bacon strips
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings
- ½ cup thinly sliced leeks, white and light green part only
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the mustard greens and strip or cut leaves from stalks. Discard the stalks. Roughly chop the leaves and set them aside.
- Broil or fry the bacon until cooked. Drain on paper toweling, cool and crumble. Set aside. Save 2 teaspoons of the fat.
- Heat a large skillet that has a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add bacon drippings and swirl to coat pan. Add leeks and cook for 4 minutes, until soft and translucent. Reduce heat if necessary to keep leeks from sticking to the pan.
- Add corn and cook over medium-high heat to brown slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add mustard greens, with the water still clinging to the leaves. Stir to coat with the oil, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve hot, garnished with the crumbled bacon.