From Rosemary Gladstar
A very effective remedy for the cold season. Make a batch to have on hand before a cold sets in. This recipe is very tasty, yet “not for the weak of heart”. From Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest (Contributed by Donna Warren).
- 1 quart vinegar
- ¼ cup grated horseradish
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons powdered turmeric
- 1 cup honey (more or less to taste)
- Combine the vinegar, horseradish, onion, garlic, turmeric, and a pinch or two of cayenne. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 3-4 weeks.
- Strain the mixture, add the honey and rebottle. Refrigerate.
Take 1 to 2 tablespoons at the first sign of a cold and continue throughout the day (approximately every 2 to 3 hours) until the symptoms subside.